History of the Company
BGFCL derives its origin from Pakistan Shell Oil Company, which was formed in Karachi, Pakistan on May 30, 1956. With emergence of Bangladesh and promulgation of Petroleum Act, 1974 the Government of Bangladesh (GOB) bought all the shares of the Pakistan Shell Oil Company with effect from August 09, 1975. The Company was renamed as Bangladesh Gas Fields Company Limited (BGFCL) on September 12, 1975. BGFCL is a corporate body registered under Company Act, 1913 (revised in 1994). It is a Company of Bangladesh Oil, Gas & Mineral Corporation (Petrobangla) under the Ministry of Power, Energy & Mineral Resources, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. By an agreement dated March 22, 1976, GOB granted BGFCL the right to operate Titas and Habiganj Gas Fields. In 1985 Kamta Gas Field was placed under BGFCL for operation. Following GOB decision Feni & Bakhrabad Gas Fields were handed over to BGFCL in 1989. Likewise Narsingdi & Meghna Gas Fields were handed over to BGFCL in 1992. Feni Gas field was handed over to NIKO Resources (Bangladesh) Ltd. and BAPEX for operation as per order of Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources. Consequently BGFCL now operates 6 (six) gas fields. Recently Sangu Production facility at Chillimpur, Chittagong (Sangu Plant) was handed over to BGFCL on 31.03.2014 as per GOB decision.